[Assessment 3285] Re: EXT : Re: Alternative Pathways to High School Equivalency/GED

Donna Chambers donnaedp at cox.net
Thu Nov 17 12:05:47 EST 2011

Hi All,

The topic of alternative pathways is so important and timely. For far too many years education has looked at standardized testing as the primary means for assessing skills. Passing a multiple choice test may or may not indicate that the test taker has the assumed skill that is being tested. The current trend in assessment is to consider alternative pathways for determining proficiency/competency. The recent redirection in education to the Common Core State Standards Initiative emphasizes “evidence of knowing”, which must be tested in multiple ways.

Some adult educators, but far too few, have been involved in competency-based assessment through the National External Diploma Program (NEDP), administered through CASAS. (www.nedp.org) Adhering to a reliable and validated process, NEDP allows participants to demonstrate high school level competencies through a series of projects that simulate life and work activities. This does not mean that the assessment is diluted, but rather it is different. NEDP has been aligned to the Common Core State Standards and so it is assessing skills that are expected of all high school graduates.

NEDP is offered to adults in my state of Rhode Island with great success. It is particularly beneficial to those students who are able to demonstrate their skills without being subjected to a timed test. NEDP works well for students for whom English is not their first language or students who experience some learning disabilities and need to “chunk” out their competency determination. It serves learners who have been stuck on their educational pathway by not being able to pass a timed test. As an alternative means of achieving a high school credential, the NEDP helps graduates meet their academic goal and many have moved on to college or other post-secondary programs.

In Rhode Island we operate an NEDP Cohort model which uses formative assessment strategies to determine a person’s readiness for the NEDP Assessment. Once the learners have acquired the necessary skills, they are admitted to the NEDP assessment which acts as the summative assessment and awards the high school diploma. Just as we know students learn in different ways, students need to be assessed in different ways and NEDP offers multiple ways to assess whether a person is skilled or not. It works!

Donna Chambers

Rhode Island NEDP Coordinator