[Assessment 3301] Announcement: Workforce Discussion next week!

Brian, Dr Donna J G djgbrian at utk.edu
Wed Nov 30 12:18:15 EST 2011

Greetings, Assessment List Members,

I am most pleased and excited to announce that the Workforce Competitiveness List has a discussion scheduled next week titled Courses to Employment: Community College-Nonprofit Partnership Approaches to Serving Low-Income Adults with staff from the Aspen Institute Workforce Strategies Initiative (AspenWSI) as our guests! Please invite colleagues who would be interested in this discussion to join our list by going to http://lincs.ed.gov/mailman/listinfo/workforce .

>From 2008 through 2011, the AspenWSI conducted Courses to Employment, a demonstration project designed to explore the role that community college-nonprofit partnerships can play in providing the unique supports and services low-income adults need to succeed in a college program, and eventually attach to and succeed in the labor market. Courses to Employment investigated six partnerships, studying the challenges adult learners face in community college, strategies and services different partnerships employ to address these challenges, roles and responsibilities of partners, program funding and costs, role of industry partners, and student outcomes. In addition to our guests from AspenWSI, workforce development professionals representing the Courses to Employment partnerships will add their experiences from this demonstration project. It would add a further dimension to the discussion to have Assessment List Members probe how the success of this project was measured, so please feel encouraged to become a member of the Workforce list and add your expertise!

For resources to check-out ahead of the conversation:

http://www.aspeninstitute.org/video/road-success-stories-courses-employment-project
Putting Adult Learners on the Road to Success, a short film from WSI illustrating the importance of community college-nonprofit partnerships, is now available. The 19-minute film<http://www.aspeninstitute.org/video/road-success-stories-courses-employment-project> features participants from two Courses to Employment partnerships (Training Futures/Northern Virginia Community College and Capital Idea/Austin Community College), who are working to help low-income adults achieve greater success in higher education and the workforce. Students comment on the assistance they received in charting a career path as well as the supports offered in navigating the college system and juggling school, work and family. Discussion is included on the importance of engaging local leaders in building these partnerships that can result in higher skills and better jobs for their residents.

http://aspenwsi.org/publicationdetailsdb.asp?pid=35
Update Issue 4: Sector Initiatives and Community Colleges: Working Together to Provide Education for Low-Wage Working Adults
This publication examines how some community colleges and sector initiatives are innovating and collaborating to benefit businesses seeking skilled workers, and low-income adults seeking education that leads to higher-wage employment. April 2007. Click here<http://aspenwsi.org/publicationdetailsdb.asp?pid=35> to download as a pdf or order a copy on-line.

http://aspenwsi.org/Publications/11-005.pdf?pid=35
Courses To Employment Update (Number 2) The Price of Persistence: How Nonprofit Community College Partnerships Manage and Blend Diverse Funding Streams
This report describes how nonprofit - community college partnerships, participating in the Courses to Employment (CTE) demonstration project, leverage multiple funding streams to address the barriers of low-income, adult learners to help them persist and complete their educations in community college, and to ultimately succeed in the labor market. Click here<http://aspenwsi.org/Publications/11-005.pdf?pid=35> to download as a pdf.

Courses to Employment is a project we need to be aware of and the Aspen Institute is one of the major players in our field of Workforce Competitiveness. I know that this will be a discussion from which we will gain much information that will be of use in our work, and I hope you will join us for next week's discussion!

Donna Brian
Moderator, LINCS Workforce Competitiveness Discussion List
Off-list contact djgbrian at utk.edu<mailto:djgbrian at utk.edu>

workforce at lincs.ed.gov<mailto:workforce at lincs.ed.gov>

To subscribe/unsubscribe/change options/access archives: