[Diversity 175] Re: Family Math

Kate Nonesuch Kate.Nonesuch at viu.ca
Tue Oct 7 02:21:36 EDT 2008

Thanks for posting the link to my family math manual, Daphne. I have a question for people on this list, about my manual and other material like it.
The manual grew out of my work with aboriginal parents in this area who are Coast Salish. (I think the term used in the USA is "Native American"--in Canada we usually say "First Nations.") So the cover art, the story of the beaver, the drawings of the animals on the medicine wheel, and the chart of numbers from 1 to 20 are all based in a specific local culture and language. The illustrations of people doing the activities are much more generalizable to a wider area.

My question is, how is such material received by aboriginal students in other areas, where the art and stories are different? Does this Coast Salish content invite them in, or is it another barrier?