[EnglishLanguage 5308] Re: ISO ESOL adult lit resources for teachingabout the census

BLAIRE WILLSON TOSO bwt121 at psu.edu
Mon Feb 1 14:43:54 EST 2010

Hillary,

The National Institute for Literacy's LINCS English
Language Acquisition (ELA)Collection has a couple of resources for teaching
Civics. Their reference
lists may be able to direct you to information on teaching the census. The link
to this page is:

http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/RC_workforce.html

Also CAELA has a resource (a CAELA Brief) English Literacy and Civics
Education. It has also been reviewed and approved by
experts but has not been posted to the ELA Collection. The resource
list is really good. The link to this page is
http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/briefs/elcivics.html

The US Civics and Citizenship Online: Curriuclum and Lesson Planning Tools
(uscis.gov) is also a good resource, but I think this has already been posted.

Hope this is helpful.

Blaire
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 12:27 PM, "Martin Senger"
<MSenger at GECAC.org> wrote:

>Pax

>Hillary!

>I would

>start with Census.gov. Here is the link for the teachers

>page: <http://www.census.gov/schools/for_teachers/>.

>Nothing

>that I saw is for “ESL” specifically, but there was a

>page for teens, which I would think be of more adult content, but still easier

>vocab.

>Hope that

>helps.

>Martin E.

>Senger

>englishlanguage-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:englishlanguage-bounces at nifl.gov] On

>Behalf Of Hillary.Gardner at mail.cuny.edu

>Sent: Monday, February

>01, 2010 12:17 PM

>To: englishlanguage at nifl.gov

>[EnglishLanguage 5304] ISO ESOL adult lit resources for

>teachingabout the census

>Hello,

>I am looking

>for links to useful materials for adult ed ESOL/civics classrooms on teaching

>the census, namely the importance of participating and how the government uses

>the census for resource distribution.

>I believe I

>remember such resources from last time this topic came around, but I can't

>remember where.

>Thanks in

>advance,

>Hillary Gardner

>hillary.gardner at mail.cuny.edu

>CUNY Adult Literacy Program

>www.literacy.cuny.edu

This electronic message and its attachments may include

>information from GECAC that is confidential and may be

>protected under federal and/or state law. This information is

>intended to be for the use of the intended addressee only. The

>improper use of this information is prohibited. If you have

>received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by

>telephone at (814) 459-4581 or by e-mail so arrangements can be

>made for the appropriate retrieval of this document at no cost

>to you.

>Email delivered to bwt121 at psu.edu

Blaire
Willson Toso
bwt121 at psu.edu
Institute for the Study of Adult
Literacy
Goodling Institute for Research in Family Literacy
The
Pennsylvania State University
401D Keller Building
University Park, PA