[ELA 6935] Re: Organizing information and note-taking skills

Isserlis, Janet janet_isserlis at brown.edu
Thu Feb 3 10:27:02 EST 2011

Back in the day, I used to use dictation with an intermediate level ESOL
class for two purposes:
1) the dictation itself, but also
2) the paragraph (5-7 sentences) would also entail a problem-posing code --
there would be something in the text that would then lend itself to
conversation with the learners once we'd gone over the actual text and
words.

The learners seemed to like it because it felt like "school" and I liked it
because it helped them see that the discussion topics (derived from things
they'd say or be interested in or worried about) would also have clear
connections to language work.

Janet