[ELA 6945] Re: Organizing information and note-taking skills

Dawn Huffman dkhuffman at mybentoak.com
Thu Feb 3 13:42:01 EST 2011

Hello everyone,

Gapped text works very well at all levels. I often make these up, and some
of the books we have also have these exercises with songs. The book
*Pronunciation
Power* (I believe that's the name) has exercises with songs from musicals
and old folk songs that have text with some words left out. These are great
and fun to listen to as well. We also make up these types of exercises with
other songs, as long as the words are fairly easy to hear.

In addition, we also have a book with a tape that features many different
phone messages. The students listen to the messages and answer the questions
in the book. There are three tiers of questions, from simple and direct to
more complex and difficult. The students can take notes and answer the
questions. This only takes 5 or 10 minutes, so it's an easy way to address
listening, note-taking and discriminating information.

Dawn Huffman