[ELA 8096] Re: pronunciation issues -- using JazzChants

Mary Brunelle mbrunelle at yvcc.edu
Wed Mar 28 19:07:13 EDT 2012

Hello Everyone,
I have enjoyed everyone’s input to the ESL list for several years, although I seldom put in my “two cents”. However, we all know how difficult it is to deal with pronunciation in a practical way, and here are my ideas, for what they are worth!!
Our students here in community college on the east side of Washington state come from all educational levels from non-literate to folks with degrees in their respective countries. Around 80% or so are Spanish-speaking, but we have had 35 different languages represented through the years I have been here (27 years). We always have a couple of Asian students (for example, Vietnamese, Chinese or Thai) as well as the occasional Russians, and so on.
I have never had much luck teaching discrete sounds. Personally, I use a “take off” ( scaled down version) of the work of Carolyn Graham (Jazz Chants). This teacher made stuff, if you will, really works well, actually better than anything else I have tried. In addition, they are easy to come up with, catchy, and the students seem to really enjoy them. (When it is break time, someone will begin chanting one I came up with, “Look at the clock, look at the clock…” ) I enjoy their reminder as much as they do!
I believe the chants work, even the corny ones I have come up with over the years, work because of the points Miriam addresses in her post, the suprasegmentals—the stress, rhythm and intonation. This is in addition to the (immediately understandable) context and “real time” speaking that will fit into many situations.
After everyone has the chant pretty well mastered, I hand out a copy, usually with clip art (in this case a stick figure walking to the door, and a clock showing the time.)
The students can easily “read” the new chant in English which is very gratifying and motivating as well.

Sincerely,
Mary