[FocusOnBasics 823] Re: Project-based learning in GED

AL aalba1 at cox.net
Mon Mar 19 21:00:55 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I am completing a Models Of Teaching course offered by the CEA. The
course is the second course of a three course sequence. Upon completing the
three courses you receive a Highly Qualified Educator's Certificate. Course
1, Operating in the Borderlands was instructed by Dr. Randall Wright. Course
2, Models of Teaching is instructed by Dr. Bill Muth. Both professors have
done a fantastic job. The relevance of the information for Correctional
Educators and Administrators is quintessential. The course has helped all
who have been actively involved in the course. The following article was
written for the course with respect to a problem based mathematics program I
am using in my class. The curriculum is the EMPower Mathematics program and
is available by Key Curriculum Press. The curriculum engages the students
by having them work in groups to solve problems and learn problem solving
strategies they can apply in their life. Also, as part of the Models of
Teaching course the cohort I was involved in wrote a paper on how teachers
can maintain their instructional role in the classroom. The report which
was generated from feedback from various listservs (including this one) and
will be posted at the CEA WIKI, correctional education, highly qualified
educators' link. I hope you find the report as great a value as each of us
who have participated in putting it together.

Sincerely, Albert Alba, PhD

I use the social constructivist approach to mathematics instruction. When
using the social constructivist approach the teacher needs to create an
instructional environment that fosters students to construct knowledge by
assimilating new knowledge through social interactions Social
constructivism recognizes that students can learn effectively when working
in small groups. A teacher needs to be constantly in tune with the
activities and learning of all the group members. The constructivist
research also has found that students learn most effectively when they are
actively involved in their learning. In addition, a teacher needs to
present students' material that is at a suitable level of difficulty.
Therefore, the material should be challenging but not overly challenging.
Vygotsky classified instruction at the forgoing level at the zone of
proximal development (Joyce, Weil, and Calhoon, 2004).

The materials selected also need to present students with real life
problems, not contrived. By students seeing real life problems the students
can recognize the relevancy to learning the material presented. Through
metacognition, students learn to reflect on their own thinking and self
monitor their thinking. Therefore, teachers need to practice think aloud
techniques which allow students to recognize how teachers are thinking and
self-reflecting on their thinking.

As a mathematics teacher I have been pilot testing for the State Of Rhode
Island, the Extending Mathematical Power (EMPower) instructional textbook
series. The series are designed to foster students' mathematical thinking
by engaging students in active problem solving. Students are involved with
independent and cooperative problem solving. The teacher's role using the
EMPower series is primarily as a facilitator, although some direct
instruction is also used. A teacher's resource book is also presented that
allows teachers to examine how to present the material, how to create a
classroom environment that promotes collaborative group work, and how to
assess students' knowledge. The teacher's resource book provides guidance
on how to make the lessons easier or more difficult based on students'
backgrounds A detailed explanation of the EMPower series can be found at
the following web site: http://adultnumeracy.terc.edu/EMPower_home.html.

The teacher is encouraged to show solutions to a problem using numerical,
graphical, pictorial, and written representations when feasible. Likewise,
students are encouraged to solve a problem with multiple strategies.
Students working in groups are also encouraged to display a summary of their
group work on newsprint. (Newsprint is a large sheet of paper). The
textbook series consists of whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percents,
proportions, geometry and measurement, algebra, and data and graphs.

In my class I will distribute a lesson packet to each student. I then break
students up into groups of 4-5. The reason I do not use groups of 2 is that
I want to make sure at least one student in each group is strong in
mathematics. If I had to break students into groups of 2, and neither
student enjoyed math nor are motivated to do math the results will be
detrimental. I also try to break the groups up heterogeneously based on
mathematics ability. The opening of the lesson is read aloud by a student.
I would then present to the class the general concepts to the lesson.
Students would then be either asked to do an activity as a group or
independently depending on the nature of the lesson. I monitor the groups
to make sure all students are participating. I will present open-ended
questions as needed to facilitate students' thinking or to make students'
rethink their thinking. If students were working independently, they would
be asked to check their work with their group members. I would then
randomly select a student from the group to explain the solution to the
problem. If a student does not know how to explain his answer he would be
asked to call on a lifeline, a member of his group for support. Students
are encouraged to help each other if they need assistance, but they must
explain how to solve the problem not just give an answer. Both the tutor
and tutee benefit from this communication. The student who is doing the
explanation must review his own thought processes when he is explaining to
the tutee. I will monitor what the tutor is saying to ensure the
instruction is correct. All students are asked to complete the unit exam
independently. The class then reviews the exam collectively. When a
student is called on he cannot just give me the answer he must explain how
he came up with the answer. Students are also encouraged to show multiple
strategies to solve a problem. Some questions require students to write out
their responses and to justify their response. As a teacher I will also
encourage dialogue on the math problems solved with respect to the relevancy
of the problem to students' lives. My students have found this method of
instruction of great value. The students enjoy working in groups in a
non-threatening atmosphere. The students also enjoy working with data and
problem tasks that are meaningful to them. By students using multiple
modalities in solving problems students gain a connection between multiple
representations. Through students' engagement in active problem solving
students are assuming the roles of applying math skills to solve math
problems as they would in real life. In conclusion, by students involved in
collaborative group work on mathematical problems that are relevant to
students' lives, students are motivated to learn mathematics and are
developing critical thinking and communication skills needed throughout
their lives. A lesson sampler of the Empower series can be obtained from
the Key Curriculum Press web site: www.keypress.com/x5153.xml.