[HealthLiteracy 5312] Re: Help locating competencies for health literacy documents

Clifford Coleman colemanc at ohsu.edu
Thu Jan 13 15:12:20 EST 2011

Hi Julie,
Thanks for the inquiry. The foundation for the consensus work we’re doing is rooted in the Calgary Charter’s assertion that HL is a health professional issue as much as a patient issue. Because we still lack an operationalized definition of HL, the theoretical underpinning of the consensus work is underdeveloped at best. Indeed, this theoretical deficiency is the reason we chose an expert consensus model in the first place.

Based on an extensive literature review, which I conducted, we identified a list of potential health literacy knowledge, skill, and attitude competencies for health professionals. In addition, we identified a similar list of health literacy practices, which could be used to determine whether the identified competencies are applied by health professionals in their real-world activities.

A diverse group of health professions educators from FASHP member organizations are currently engaged in a Delphi consensus-building process using this list of potential competencies and practices.

I will be discussing this in more detail at the Wisconsin HL Summit in April and at the IHA HL Conference in May for those who may be able to attend.

Best,

Cliff