[HealthLiteracy 5354] Re: incomplete information and jargon

MarkH38514 at aol.com MarkH38514 at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 15:19:23 EST 2011

I could not agree more. A friend called last week to update us on his
wife's medical condition. He said that some of her lab values were "high." I
told him about my experience with lab results--if a lab value was even one
point above the normal range, it got flagged as "high"--even though my doctor
said it wasn't a problem until the lab value was twice the normal score.

My friend was stunned; I think he thought his wife's "high" lab results
were much, much worse than they really were. He wondered why they couldn't
use flags like "slightly above normal," "moderately above normal," or "very
much above normal." He was going to check her lab values to see how "high"
they really were.

Seeing that your lab results are "high" may not tell you very much, may
increase your anxiety level, and may be hazardous to your mental health.

Mark Hochhauser

In a message dated 1/25/2011 1:13:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,