[HealthLiteracy 5679] Translating Stories Into Action

Michael Villaire mvillaire at iha4health.org
Fri Apr 29 11:56:30 EDT 2011

Thank you Sam for posting the links for everyone to participate in this
process. I'm very excited that the National Action Plan to Improve
Health Literacy is continuing to gain traction within our community;
Wisconsin Health Literacy used it as a formative and organizing matrix
for their recent conference; Winston Lawrence's upcoming New York City
conference does as well. There are many other examples out there as
well; we at IHA are happy to help keep the ball rolling.

Please consider, if you've not done so already, pulling together your
own health literacy story. We would love to have you share it, and to
use it as your stepping-stone to drafting your own Action Plan. However,
even if you end up not sharing your story with us (and we really hope
you do), share it with your own network. Share it with the organizations
with whom you collaborate on other projects. Use it as a
conversation-starter about some of your goals, and to explore how your
goals and theirs may overlap. Remember, people tend to gravitate toward
meaningful relationships that result in goals being achieved. If you
start up the conversation, have a clear idea of your own goals, and
solicit theirs with a respectful approach of finding common ground,
you've accomplished one of the most difficult steps: achieving shared
momentum.

As we said earlier in the week, stories are powerful. Stories provide us
with a human connection. Go back for a moment and read Michele Erikson's
story, and Sabrina Kurtz-Rossi's story. (Read all of them, actually, but
in particular, these two.) Once you read these stories, feel the
connection with the people and their quests for information and a way to
understand and do better something that was important to them.

Your stories have the same potential. Tell us how you or a
colleague/client faced a challenge. How did attention to health literacy
play a role in overcoming this obstacle? What challenges did you/they
encounter? How were these challenges overcome? Mix in the story with
your operational solutions. Think about how someone reading your story
could apply the lessons you learned and the approaches you used in their
own situation. Then use the National Action Plan to describe your
efforts in more detail. The stories bring us together and provide
meaning; the National Action Plan provides a method to capture, measure,
and a map for the future.

During our live session next week on Wednesday, May 4 at Noon Pacific
Daylight Time (1 pm Mountain; 2 pm Central; and 3 pm Eastern), we'll
help make these connections between story and action. We'll use real
stories to walk through this progression, point out ways in which these
efforts could be used collaboratively, and how they might be expanded
and built upon within one's own organization.

Take a look at Sam Pettyjohn's previous post (scroll down) on how to
participate now by sharing your story, and how to join us live on
Wednesday.

Our story sharing continues today, so take a moment out now to capture
that story, toot your organization's horn, and take your first step
toward your own Action Plan.

Thanks everyone for reading and sharing. We hope to see you next week!

Michael

-- Michael Villaire, MSLM

Chief Operating Officer

Institute for Healthcare Advancement

(562) 690-4001 ext. 202

Ask me about our Health Literacy Conference
<http://www.iha4health.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/226/MenuGroup/_Health
+Literacy.htm>

Our newest book 'What To Do For Heavy Kids' is here!
<http://www.iha4health.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/191/MenuGroup/_Home.h
tm>

Ask me about IHA's Health Literacy Rewrite/Redesign Service
<http://www.iha4health.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/335.htm>