[Numeracy 5] Re: Welcome to the NEW Math and Numeracy List

Kathy Brezina kathyb at cvarp.org
Wed Jan 20 11:25:04 EST 2010

Lauri,
I think you have brought up a very good topic. I am a novice in Adult
Education, but I come from 32 years teaching experience from the elementary
level. What I have observed is that these ABE I & II people have big gaps in
basic math skills and don't need to be taught the same old way. We need to
present practical math to them.
Here in AZ we, our State Education Department has been training many
of us in TIAN math (Teachers Investigating Adult Numeracy). It is a
wonderful, practical math approach hitting all the basic skills. It uses
situations, and frequently group work. It is not the skill and drill
approach and it has interaction with the teacher. If you can't tell I like
the approach and content.
Kathy Brezina
Curriculum Director/ABE Teacher
Camp Verde Adult Reading Program