[Numeracy 6] Re: Resources for Levels I and II

Patricia Donovan patricia_donovan at worlded.org
Wed Jan 20 12:50:37 EST 2010

Hello Math Friends,

Just a reminder that TIAN has a web site connected with TERC in
Cambridge, and at that site there are resource 'bundles' that include
materials for teaching numeracy and for professional development
discussions about instruction and mathematics.

In addition, the TERC-developed (full disclosure, I was one of the
co-authors) EMPower curriculum series uses a developmental approach to
mathematics and includes some very basic texts that you may find quite
useful for ABE Levels I and II. Just google EMPower Math...I think that
will get you there where at least one lesson from each book can be
downloaded for your use. The teachers' book includes lots of helpful
information about math background/connections and facilitation notes.

Enjoy!
Tricia

Tricia Donovan
SABES CRC
World Education
44 Farnsworth St.
Boston, MA 02210
617-482-9485
Fax 617-482-0617

>>> "Kathy Brezina" <kathyb at cvarp.org> 01/20/10 12:35 PM >>>

Lauri,
I think you have brought up a very good topic. I am a novice in
Adult
Education, but I come from 32 years teaching experience from the
elementary
level. What I have observed is that these ABE I & II people have big
gaps in
basic math skills and don't need to be taught the same old way. We need
present practical math to them.
Here in AZ we, our State Education Department has been training
many
of us in TIAN math (Teachers Investigating Adult Numeracy). It is a
wonderful, practical math approach hitting all the basic skills. It uses

situations, and frequently group work. It is not the skill and drill
approach and it has interaction with the teacher. If you can't tell I
like
the approach and content.
Kathy Brezina
Curriculum Director/ABE Teacher