[Numeracy 7] Re: Welcome to the NEW Math and Numeracy List

Lauri Schoneck SchonecL at seminolestate.edu
Wed Jan 20 14:34:22 EST 2010

Wow, great stuff so far!! I'd like more info on TIAN for sure!

I'm a professor of ABE/GED at Seminole State College of Florida and I
work with youth (16-17) and adults (18+). My area of expertise is
learning disabilities and math. I've been teaching math for 25 years
and LOVE IT with a passion. I serve students from a 0.0 skill level to
12.9a skill level. I'm finding a niche with the 0.0-3.0 group though.
Traditionally, they are the most fun, have the best attendance and the
strongest desire to learn I've ever seen. ;-) In the spirit of this
group, I have done much research into working with non/low literate
adults. I'd like to know more about others' experiences serving this
group and more specifically if the student(s) they serve have a learning
disability (suspected or documented). Another area of interest is the
age range that falls into this 1/2 group. I have 18 yr. olds and a
small cadre of 70 yr olds in the same class--does age affect learning
style?

I'd also be interested in chatting anyone who has gone thru the Making
Math Real Institute at the University of California Berkeley.

I could start a MILLION discussions here! :-D

Thanks!

Lauri Schoneck

Lauri M. Schoneck, M.Ed
Professor, ABE/GED
Seminole State College of Florida
Sanford, FL

>>> "Lauri Schoneck" <SchonecL at seminolestate.edu> 1/19/2010 12:50 PM

VERY excited to be a charter member of this new list!! I'm a
math-maniac in sheep's clothing! ;-)

I'd like to start a discussion about ABE level 1 and level 2 math for
non-readers--resources, ideas, best practices, etc...

Thanks so much!!

Lauri "math-maniac" Schoneck

Lauri M. Schoneck, M.Ed
Professor, ABE/GED
Seminole State College of Florida
Sanford, FL

>>> "Denney, Brooke" <denneyb at cowley.edu> 1/19/2010 6:47 AM >>>

Greetings All!

I want to welcome each of you to the New Math and Numeracy List! My
name is Brooke Denney and I am the moderator/facilitator for this
list.
I will be sending out a formal welcome later this week but wanted to
informally welcome everyone that has already signed up. Furthermore,
those of you who have signed up are one of the biggest advocates for
this list. Therefore, if you know someone who this list would benefit
or whose knowledge would benefit the list please encourage them to
sign
up at: http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/discussions.html and then
clicking on the Math and Numeracy List. Look for my formal greeting
soon and welcome!

Brooke Denney

Please Note:
Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written
communications to or from College employees regarding College business
are public records, available to the public and media upon request.
Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public
disclosure.

Numeracy at nifl.gov
Email delivered to schonecl at seminolestate.edu