[Numeracy 17] Re: Welcome to the Math and Numeracy Discussion List

Sally Waldron sally_waldron at worlded.org
Thu Jan 21 10:27:57 EST 2010

Hello,

I am Sally Waldron. I currently oversee U.S. adult literacy and
numeracy efforts at World Education, a Boston-based non-profit. Our
work includes coordination of the Massachusetts professional development
system (SABES), the New England Literacy Resource Center, the National
College Transitions Network, and the New England Transitions to College
and Careers project.

I was an adult basic education math teacher for 15 years prior to
becoming a program director and professional developer. Math is my
first interest and love, and I plan to return to ABE math teaching when
I leave my current position in a few years. Last year, I volunteered in
an ABE math classroom for several months, and this year I am assisting
Tricia Donovan with developing a math training on math for health
careers.

My goals for the list include being part of a stimulating dialogue
about math instruction, giving myself more time to focus on numeracy and
how it is learned and taught (and preparing myself to become a better
math teacher), learning more about what is going on in numeracy across
the country (and perhaps internationally, too), and working with policy
makers to increase recognition of the importance of numeracy skills.

Thanks,

Sally

>>> "Denney, Brooke" <denneyb at cowley.edu> 1/21/2010 7:02 AM >>>

Hello!

It is my honor to welcome you to the NEW NIFL electronic discussion
list: Math and Numeracy. My name is Brooke Denney and I am the
moderator/facilitator of this list. I have an extensive background in
mathematics (B.S. in Mathematics and 21 hours towards a M.S. in
Mathematics) and am working towards a doctoral degree in Adult and
Continuing Education. I am very passionate about math and numeracy
and
believe that we are reaching a crisis level in the United States
because
of our current instructional practices so something has to change.
This
desire to change the way we impact learners has guided me to my
current
position as Instructional Coordinator/Mathematics Instructor at Cowley
College Adult Education Program.

Those of you who have signed up for this list have come aboard the
Math
and Numeracy Boat and as we prepare to set sail on our journey to
many
different topics. I ask that you introduce yourself. Then perhaps
reflect upon the following questions: What are your hopes for this
discussion list? What skills or knowledge can you share with us to
deepen our knowledge about mathematics &/or numeracy? What ideas can
you offer to make this a strong participant-base voyage?

For those of you who are new to the electronic discussion lists, or
would appreciate a reminder - to post to this list, you can either hit
reply to a post OR you can send the post to: numeracy at nifl.gov . It
sometimes takes a few hours before you will see your post posted.

The purpose of this list is to provide an on-going professional
development forum where adult educators, advocates, researchers,
policy
makers, adult education providers, and others can discuss mathematics
and numeracy issues in adult basic education and GED programs. This
list
promotes the sharing of information, research, expertise, and
resources
on topics such as motivation and math, math skills for GED completion
and transitions to post-secondary and workplace settings; common math
and numeracy instructional issues; technology in math education; and
current on-line numeracy or math classes being piloted in ABE/GED
settings. If you had to write a purpose for this list-what would you
write? What topics would you include?

All thoughts on this list are welcome. We will learn a lot from the
variety of representatives, range of our experiences, and diversity of
thoughts from those who are aboard the Math and Numeracy Boat. In
order
to support this effort to learn from each other, we need to
communicate
with a child-like inquiry and curiosity, that fosters a mutual
respect.
Please follow the Netiquette Rules at
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/list_guidelines.html#netiquette
before posting messages. Thank you.

I am looking forward to sailing this journey along side you as we
learn
and grow. As you come aboard the ship, please announce who you are
and
what you hope to gain from this list?

Brooke Denney

Cowley College Adult Education Program