[Numeracy 16] Hello to those drawn to math!

Kelli Davis (Crawford County Read Program) titusvillereadprogram at verizon.net
Thu Jan 21 10:50:52 EST 2010

Hi! I'm Kelli Davis from the Crawford County READ Program in Titusville, PA. We're an adult literacy program and work with adults in any number of areas - any educational need that we can help with. I've been in adult education for about 14 years.

I have a love of math and am always searching for new ideas. Math seems to be a weak spot for most of the adults who come to our program - especially those coming for their GED's. As a result, I'm always looking for any and all new or different ideas for math instruction, tricks, learning tools, fun ideas, etc. It seems hard to find others in adult ed who truly love math and are willing to teach it.

Part of my job is to recruit volunteer tutors. I can't tell you how many times a tutor will say they feel comfortable teaching "anything but math!" I work with them and try to take that fear away.

This is my first real "electronic discussion list," so be patient with me! I only know that I'm very excited to be connected with practitioners from all different areas of expertise in so many corners of the country! I'm looking forward to getting to know you, sharing knowledge, and learning from your experiences.

It was the lure of "numeracy" that intrigued me!

Thanks so much,

Kelli