[Numeracy 25] Re: What's in a name?

Rachel Lyon rlyon at lyon.k12.nv.us
Thu Jan 21 15:31:04 EST 2010

It was never in the title here.

-----Original Message-----
From: numeracy-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:numeracy-bounces at nifl.gov] On
Behalf Of Lauri Schoneck
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:36 AM
To: numeracy at nifl.gov
Subject: [Numeracy 21] What's in a name?

Hello again... This is a tad off the topic of numeracy, but I can't
help but notice a few of you have introduced yourselves as AE/GED
professionals. It intrigues me that "basic" has been dropped from the
title. If this applies to you...would you mind sending me a note (off
list is fine) of the reasoning behind the "basic" drop? Maybe...it was
never in your title?? I like the AE version better than the ABE
version...

Thanks!

Lauri

Lauri M. Schoneck, M.Ed
schonecl at seminolestate.edu
Professor, ABE/GED
Seminole State College of Florida
Sanford, FL

>>> "Denney, Brooke" <denneyb at cowley.edu> 1/21/2010 7:02 AM >>>

Hello!

It is my honor to welcome you to the NEW NIFL electronic discussion
list: Math and Numeracy. My name is Brooke Denney and I am the
moderator/facilitator of this list. I have an extensive background in
mathematics (B.S. in Mathematics and 21 hours towards a M.S. in
Mathematics) and am working towards a doctoral degree in Adult and
Continuing Education. I am very passionate about math and numeracy
and
believe that we are reaching a crisis level in the United States
because
of our current instructional practices so something has to change.
This
desire to change the way we impact learners has guided me to my
current
position as Instructional Coordinator/Mathematics Instructor at Cowley
College Adult Education Program.

Those of you who have signed up for this list have come aboard the
Math
and Numeracy Boat and as we prepare to set sail on our journey to
many
different topics. I ask that you introduce yourself. Then perhaps
reflect upon the following questions: What are your hopes for this
discussion list? What skills or knowledge can you share with us to
deepen our knowledge about mathematics &/or numeracy? What ideas can
you offer to make this a strong participant-base voyage?

For those of you who are new to the electronic discussion lists, or
would appreciate a reminder - to post to this list, you can either hit
reply to a post OR you can send the post to: numeracy at nifl.gov . It
sometimes takes a few hours before you will see your post posted.

The purpose of this list is to provide an on-going professional
development forum where adult educators, advocates, researchers,
policy
makers, adult education providers, and others can discuss mathematics
and numeracy issues in adult basic education and GED programs. This
list
promotes the sharing of information, research, expertise, and
resources
on topics such as motivation and math, math skills for GED completion
and transitions to post-secondary and workplace settings; common math
and numeracy instructional issues; technology in math education; and
current on-line numeracy or math classes being piloted in ABE/GED
settings. If you had to write a purpose for this list-what would you
write? What topics would you include?

All thoughts on this list are welcome. We will learn a lot from the
variety of representatives, range of our experiences, and diversity of
thoughts from those who are aboard the Math and Numeracy Boat. In
order
to support this effort to learn from each other, we need to
communicate
with a child-like inquiry and curiosity, that fosters a mutual
respect.
Please follow the Netiquette Rules at
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/list_guidelines.html#netiquette
before posting messages. Thank you.

I am looking forward to sailing this journey along side you as we
learn
and grow. As you come aboard the ship, please announce who you are
and
what you hope to gain from this list?

Brooke Denney

Cowley College Adult Education Program

Please Note:
Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written
communications to or from College employees regarding College business
are public records, available to the public and media upon request.
Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public
disclosure.

Numeracy at nifl.gov
Email delivered to rlyon at lyon.k12.nv.us

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me and permanently delete the original and all copies and printouts of this e-mail and any attachments.