[Numeracy 30] Hello

anita at gplc.org anita at gplc.org
Fri Jan 22 09:30:45 EST 2010

My name is Anita Markowitz and I am a GED and ABE instructor with the
Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council. I have taught different subjects to
adults for about 15 years. Before teaching adults I taught first grade.
My area of comfort is reading as I have a MS in Reading, but I teach more
math than reading in my GED class and in my beginning level ABE class. I
suspect that many of my beginning level students have learning problems
with math.
I joined this group to learn more about math and/or numeracy. I try to
keep word problems in my GED math class related to work and how they can
use math on the job. I have a question for the group. How do you get
adults to learn their multiplication tables? I have students (of all ages
from 18 to mid 70's) come into class and use various methods to work out
multiplication and division problems. (Some of my beginners also make
marks on scratch paper to add and subtract.) It takes a long time and I
can see how it hurts them when they test on the TABE test and on the GED
Math section of a Practice Test. They don't finish because they don't
know the multiplication tables by heart.

Anita Markowitz
Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council
Adult Education Instructor
412-393-7609/412-552-7067