[Numeracy 40] Re: Introduction and multiplication tables

themagicisin3 themagicisin3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 13:21:36 EST 2010

Hello,

I supervise and guide about 200 work-study tutors in teaching remedial
reading and math skills. Although it is a little different from ABE,
I find that our high school students always want to find shortcuts and
ways to remember beyond pure memorization.

The best method that I have found for many of these students is
creating a multiplication table. That way, if they do not know an
answer immediately, they can figure it out quickly. Eventually they
can work on filling in blanks in a partially filled out table.
Finally, when recalling facts they can "visualize" the table. This,
combined with drills and games, tends to help our older students learn
how to make shortcuts and find ways to memorize multiplication facts
without being overwhelmed.

Catherine Jacques
FLOC Coordinator, DC