[Numeracy 46] Re: Making Math Real

Maureen Carro mcarro at lmi.net
Fri Jan 22 19:32:57 EST 2010

Hello Lauri, Susan and all,

Living here near Berkeley, I have had the honor and privilege of
having completed the entire MAKING MATH REAL curriculum, pre-k through
Algebra. I was first exposed to the introductory courses while
completing requirements for my certification in educational therapy at
UC Berkeley. I continued to take the additional classes as David
developed them and made them available in the area here. MAKING MATH
REAL was not an "Institute" at the time, and through our class'
encouragement, and some help from the sister of one of our cohort
members to get the marketing going.... the Institute emerged, and all
of us are so happy that this unique experience is being offered
nationwide! I can say it is worth the money! In nearly every class I
took, I encountered some participants who were paying to take it a
second time! It is well worth the money!

I had a strong math background teaching high school algebra going in
to the classes, and math had always been easy for me throughout my
schooling. But this curriculum is not for those for whom math comes
easily as presented in traditional curriculum, although it certainly
would enhance ANY student's understanding of mathematical concepts.
I admit, I was challenged to make my own mind work in a different way,
and thus became a far better math teacher, finally able to reach
those students for whom math did not come easily.

The 9-Lines strategy for accessing multiplication and division facts
is truly an amazing tool. I learned it while still in the adult
education environment, and saw students who had NEVER mastered math
facts, or did not have fluent access to them, learned them quickly.
In my private practice I've had clients who had been allowed to use a
calculator from elementary school years ( having been deemed hopeless
cases in terms of learning math facts), who in the later elementary
years and middle school suddenly were at risk of not succeeding in
college preparatory math classes. Susan is correct in that
"factoring" becomes a problem if one does not know multiplication
facts. Much "factoring" is done mentally in computing fractions, and
students quickly fall behind early on if they do not master math facts.

Of course the 9-line strategy is but a small fraction of what is
available in this curriculum. It IS a very good start, however,
because as you point out, so much else hinges on their mastery and
fluent mental access and retrieval. The tool is only as good as the
teacher, however, and it does take some practice with the strategies
and curriculum.

In addition to taking his classes, David Berg was one of my
supervisors while completing my clinic practice requirement for ET
certification at Berkeley. If you wish to contact me off-list at my
personal email below, I would be happy to answer any questions... or
on-list if there is interest in the participant group.

Maureen Carro, MS, ET
Academic Learning Solutions
Alamo, CA
925-820-2549