[Numeracy 49] Re: Welcome to the Math and Numeracy Discussion List

Carobine, John P. jCarobine at CLCILLINOIS.EDU
Sun Jan 24 21:24:26 EST 2010

Greetings to all on the discussion list,

My name is John and I'm an adjunct teaching in the Adult Education program for the College of Lake County, Illinois. I mainly teach a stacked ABE40/ABE50/GED6 class (the one room school house scenario, as I like to call it) at a community (off-campus) site in Waukegan, Illinois. This semester, I'm also splitting a straight 40-level class with a full-time instructor at our Waukegan campus.

While I'm relatively new to teaching in this current format, I have some teaching and educational administrative experience gained during a twenty year career in the U.S. Navy. However, that was a long time ago and many things were different then as opposed to what they are now. However, I have an attitude that one is never too old to learn new things and I hope to gain more insight into the challenge of teaching math as the discussion goes forward.

If there is any one anecdotal observation I could make about the students I have worked with, I would say that it appears that the majority of them have a weak "number sense" ability no matter what ABE/GED academic level they are currently in or test into. Those who do possess good number sense seem to quickly rise to the top, vis-à-vis OPT's (Official Practice Tests) and go on to score very well on the GED Math Test. A student's age nor how far they got in school nor how long it's been since they have been in school seem to be factors. I could be wrong on any or all of this but I wonder if other colleagues on this list have seen this in their students too?

Overall, I look forward to the many insights and discussions that will be forthcoming. I am especially interested in learning more about using manipulative as an aid to increasing student math proficiency.

John Carobine
ABE/ADE/GED/VST Instructor
Certified Illinois workNet Advisor/Partner
________________________________

From: numeracy-bounces at nifl.gov on behalf of Denney, Brooke
Sent: Thu 1/21/2010 6:02 AM
To: numeracy at nifl.gov
Subject: [Numeracy 13] Welcome to the Math and Numeracy Discussion List

Hello!

It is my honor to welcome you to the NEW NIFL electronic discussion list: Math and Numeracy. My name is Brooke Denney and I am the moderator/facilitator of this list. I have an extensive background in mathematics (B.S. in Mathematics and 21 hours towards a M.S. in Mathematics) and am working towards a doctoral degree in Adult and Continuing Education. I am very passionate about math and numeracy and believe that we are reaching a crisis level in the United States because of our current instructional practices so something has to change. This desire to change the way we impact learners has guided me to my current position as Instructional Coordinator/Mathematics Instructor at Cowley College Adult Education Program.

Those of you who have signed up for this list have come aboard the Math and Numeracy Boat and as we prepare to set sail on our journey to many different topics. I ask that you introduce yourself. Then perhaps reflect upon the following questions: What are your hopes for this discussion list? What skills or knowledge can you share with us to deepen our knowledge about mathematics &/or numeracy? What ideas can you offer to make this a strong participant-base voyage?

For those of you who are new to the electronic discussion lists, or would appreciate a reminder - to post to this list, you can either hit reply to a post OR you can send the post to: numeracy at nifl.gov . It sometimes takes a few hours before you will see your post posted.

The purpose of this list is to provide an on-going professional development forum where adult educators, advocates, researchers, policy makers, adult education providers, and others can discuss mathematics and numeracy issues in adult basic education and GED programs. This list promotes the sharing of information, research, expertise, and resources on topics such as motivation and math, math skills for GED completion and transitions to post-secondary and workplace settings; common math and numeracy instructional issues; technology in math education; and current on-line numeracy or math classes being piloted in ABE/GED settings. If you had to write a purpose for this list-what would you write? What topics would you include?

All thoughts on this list are welcome. We will learn a lot from the variety of representatives, range of our experiences, and diversity of thoughts from those who are aboard the Math and Numeracy Boat. In order to support this effort to learn from each other, we need to communicate with a child-like inquiry and curiosity, that fosters a mutual respect. Please follow the Netiquette Rules at http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/list_guidelines.html#netiquette before posting messages. Thank you.

I am looking forward to sailing this journey along side you as we learn and grow. As you come aboard the ship, please announce who you are and what you hope to gain from this list?

Brooke Denney

Cowley College Adult Education Program