[Numeracy 51] Re: Hello

Kate Nonesuch Kate.Nonesuch at viu.ca
Mon Jan 25 08:01:13 EST 2010

Kathryn and Mary--
I book I'd recommend for math anxiety is Managing the Mean Math Blues by C. Ooten. One thing I especially like that she says is "Anxiety results when you are required to stay in an uncomfortable situaton where you believe you have no control." (sorry, I've lost the page number for this reference) This sentence really spoke to me since I pay a lot of attention to putting learners in charge of their learning.

This book is for high level readers, so most of my numeracy learners couldn't read it, but I found many useful ideas for helping reduce math anxiety in it.

Kate Nonesuch
Victoria, BC
kate.nonesuch at viu.ca
(250) 381-1824