[Numeracy 63] Re: Hello

Steven Ewert Steven.Ewert at fresnounified.org
Mon Jan 25 18:11:39 EST 2010

My name is Steven Ewert and I teach at Fresno Adult School in Fresno, CA. I had submitted an introduction before, but I wanted to respond to Kathryn Baxter. My math experience from Grade school through High School was less than satisfactory. I took the minimum math classes to graduate, but it wasn't until my second year in college that I took a math class where things started to make sense. But I never followed up on it. After bouncing around in several different vocations, I ended up teaching. When I got my multiple-subject credential, I had already gotten a Masters in Language Development which incorporated techniques for teaching reading. I thought I would make a great reading teacher. My student teaching experience changed my perception of my strengths. The students in my 5-6 combo class thought I was a great math teacher. Upon reflection, I realized that I was able to identify with their struggles in math, and guide them to a better understanding of the concepts they struggled with. That empathy continues to today with the adults I am teaching and as I continue to learn. As a result, my students have been able to make quite significat gains in math because I often understand where they are coming from.

You bring a great asset of empathy to the classroom which will really encourage your students. Keep it up.

Steven Ewert