[Numeracy 69] Re: Introduction, fractions and percents

Claire Ludovico and/or TJ DeLuca tjdclaire at cox.net
Tue Jan 26 00:31:41 EST 2010

Hi,
I'm Claire Ludovico, here in Phoenix, Arizona. I have been teaching
ABE/GED for 16 years and was a Physical/Earth science teacher for seven
years before that. I was part of the state's original TIAN training.
If the state doesn't defund adult education (a distinct possibility if
the governor gets her way), I hope to go on teaching adults for a few
more years. Most of my students (better than 90%) start with poor math
skills.
I teach parts, also. I cannot seem to separate fractions, decimals,
percents because each has its place...often in the same problem. A few
things I add for fractions are that the word numerator sounds like a
number...and is one, the line is the division symbol...and that is
probably the way they will see division denoted in the future, and the
word denominator has the Latin word nomin (nomen) in it, which means
"name". And that is how the denominator must be treated when adding or
subtracting fractions...as its name. I'm big on math as a foreign
language, so I also always point out that percent means per
hundred...and how that concept easily "translates" the percent both to
the fraction and to the decimal.
I don't like to be negative, but I am not a fan of tic-tac-toe math.
The first students I ever showed it to never came back to class. There
is a finger trick for 6x6, 6x7...includes the sevens, eights, nines,
tens (starting with times 6 always)...the worst part of the times tables
for most students. (I tell them they had better not be using it for
their tens though!) They do have to know their 2's, 3's, and 4's times
2, 3, 4 but that is not usually a problem.
If anyone would like a description of how this works (not why...I
haven't quite explained that to myself yet...but one of these days I
will), I will be glad to share.
I have students who want to ridicule other students who use their
fingers to do math...but I say if it works, don't worry about it.
Claire