[Numeracy 70] Re: Introduction, fractions and percents

Linda Shilling-Burhans lshilling at cvabe.org
Tue Jan 26 10:16:09 EST 2010

Hi Claire,
I'm Linda from Vermont also teaching ABE/GED and I appreciate your take on
math as a foreign language. I think I have a volunteer who knows your finger
trick only I would need someone who explains it better because I become
totally confused.
I also join Steve that bringing empathy for what the adult students are
experiencing (fear of math) is important. I, too, spent my life avoiding it,
and truly learning as I teach. One thing the students do see from me is that
if we stick with the problem and don't give up, use all resources available
till we get it, we feel a sense of victory and satisfaction. Then, of course
we make a special note to remember how we got it: what was the rule or
formula and how can we make sure to remember? Other than that, I'm lucky to
be one step ahead of them. However, every student that has taken their math
GED has passe!

Linda

Linda Shilling-Burhans
Community Coordinator