[Numeracy 89] Re: What are your thoughts...

Ellen Richer ellenr at lacnyc.org
Tue Feb 2 13:22:24 EST 2010

Hello,

My name is Ellen Richer and I am the Director of the NYS Education
Department's Regional Adult Education Network (RAEN) of NYC. In this
capacity I interact with the state-funded adult literacy programs
throughout NYC's 5 boroughs. This includes the city university system,
NYC's Department of Education, our library system and a strong number of
cbo's, all of whom offer GED prep, pre-GED prep, ESL and other classes
plus wrap-around services to the adult and out-of-school young adult
populations. Although I am not teaching students directly in this
position I am very involved in coordinating and offering PD, technical
assistance and coaching opportunities to our state-funded programs and
am directly involved with impelling our GED testing network in NYC. The
recurring theme of these meetings is MATH-gaps between GED math and
college readiness math. What does a College Transition program offer in
the way of math preparation for college? I am very interested in
learning what other states are doing to bridge the gap and even more, to
effect change in literacy programs and even down to the K-12 arena where
much of the math-phobia begins. Referrals to best practices would be
most welcome.

Regards,

Ellen

Ellen Richer, Director