[Numeracy 110] Re: introductions

Barbara Murray bamurr at metrocast.net
Sat Feb 6 18:22:16 EST 2010

The least common multiple is used to find the lowest common denominator.

Example: Add 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/6

The multiples:
of 2 are 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24. . .
of 3 are 3 6 9 12 15 18 21 24 . . .
of 4 are 4 8 12 16 20 24. . .
of 6 are 6 12 18 24 . . .

The least common multiple is 12 and this is also the lowest common denominator. Notice that 24 is also a common multiple, but it is not the least common multiplie. It is also not the lowest common denominator, although it would be A common denominator.

1/2 = 6/12
1/3 = 4/12
1/4 = 3/12
1/6 = 2/12