[Numeracy 119] Re: Introduction, fractions and percents

Shannon Klasell sklasell at masoncountyliteracy.org
Mon Feb 8 17:38:31 EST 2010

Charlie,

I struggle with that as well. I found the EMPower Series book on Using Benchmarks really helped my ABE students begin to understand fractions and percents. We started with the benchmarks of ½, ¼, ¾, and went from there. I personally find the teacher's guides very helpful because they show what some student work might look like.

Also, I draw every fraction - boxes are my specialty. Once the students can see what they are dealing with, the operations become easier to do.