[Numeracy 123] Re: introductions

George Demetrion gdemetrion at msn.com
Mon Feb 8 21:16:40 EST 2010

Thanks Carolyn:

Greatest Common Factor = Low number for reducing fractions

Lowest Common Denominator High number for adding or subtracting fractions with different denominators

e.g 3 and 8 or (2.2.2) In this case there is no reduction possible so the GCF is 1

3 and 8 for LCD 3 and 2.2.2. Since there are no common factors, multiply all =24

Question: Now what is all this Absolute Number business all about, which in itself I do get, but then we get such things as -(-8) which = 8 is read as "the opposite of negative 8." I get that in an abstract sense, but processing that to bring it to a level of automaticity is another thing altogether.

More importantly,

What is the significance of this level of mastery when students are working on basic integers?
What is its actual mathematical function?
Intuitively, I'm sensing that it may have some value when it comes to algebra (yes? no?) and if so then perhaps higher levels of absolute number functionality can be taught at that time (yes? no?) after students mastered more of the basics of negative numbers, fractions, decimals, proportions and basic algebraic equations

This brings up to my mind the importance of:

Sequencing skill development from basic to more advanced
Maximum possible simplicity as a critical scaffolding strategy in its own right
Incorporating mathematical meaning making and inquiry as a critical part of the ongoing work
Individual and collaborative scaffolding

BTW I think these and other pivotal steps have more overall pedagogical significance than say whether or not or the extent to which one utilizes manipulatives. To be sure manipulatives and other methods can be important, but I would view such methods as a secondary rather than a primary issue. In short, they belong in the arsenal of teaching tools in the facilitation of the primary goal--learning.

Best,

George Demetrion