[Numeracy 124] Re: introductions

Maureen Carro mcarro at lmi.net
Tue Feb 9 00:03:39 EST 2010

> Carolyn writes:

> Suppose the numbers are 15 and 21. The LCD would be 3: 15 = 3 * 5;

> 21 = 3 * 7. The number they have *in common* is 3.

3 is the Greatest Common Factor: GCF, not the Lowest Common
Denominator: LCD

> Suppose the numbers are 49 and 98. The LCD would be 49: 49 = 7 * 7;

> 98 = 7 * 7 * 2. The numbers they have *in common* are 7 and 7, and 7

> * 7 = 49.

The Lowest Common Denominator would be 98

The Lowest Common Denominator is used to create equivalent fractions
for the purpose of adding and subtracting fractions with like
denominators... ( same size pieces)
Equivalent fractions are fractions in "higher terms" than the original
fractions.

I think there is confusion among: Least Common Denominator, Least
Common Multiple, and Greatest Common Factor.

The Least Common Denominator is the same as the Least Common Multiple.
It is called the Least Common Denominator when it is serving as the
denominator of equivalent fractions that have been created in order to
create the "same size pieces" so they can be added or subtracted .
The "new" denominator is always either the larger of the original
denominators ( if the smaller one is a factor if it) or larger than
the original ones.... thus is is a common multiple of the two
original denominators. Barbara's example, a few posts ago....
illustrated this.

Otherwise, when NOT serving as a DENOMINATOR of a fraction, the
lowest multiple that two ( or more) numbers have in common is called
the Least Common Multiple. It is CONTEXT that changes the scenery
here and it is called by a different name depending on the context. .

> Try 45 and 21 for the LCM. What is the smallest number that is a

> multiple of both numbers? 45 = 3 * 3 * 5, 21 = 3 * 7. The LCM = 3 *

> 3 * 5 * 7 or 105. (Each number has a 3, so the first three only

> counts once. There is an extra 3 in 45, plus the 5. 21 still has a

> 7. Multiply all those together.

> Or let's try 15 and 49. 15 = 3 * 5, 49 = 7 * 7. No numbers in

> common, so multiply them all together. LCM = 3 * 5 * 7 * 7 or 735.

Carolyn's example above is an example of finding the Least Common
Multiple ( sometimes known as Lowest Common Denominator) by using
Prime Factorization.

Maureen Carro, MS, ET
Academic Learning Solutions
Alamo, CA