[Numeracy 139] Re: introductions

Carol King cking at lyon.k12.nv.us
Wed Feb 10 21:18:49 EST 2010

For learners who struggle with the double negative, but do well in
Language Arts I illustrate it with the double negative in a language
arts context: If I am not not going to the store, what am I doing?
Answer: I must be going to the store. If I am taking out taking out 8,
as in 10 - (-8), then I must be adding it. As very unmath-like as it
is, students who are really verbal start to grasp the issue.

Carol King

Fernley Adult Education

Cking at lyon.k12.nv.us