[Numeracy 153] Re: The double negative language-math link

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 00:29:32 EST 2010

Greetings Brooke and everyone,

Perhaps we have run into a semantic issue here.  Units of measurement are abstractions, you can not capture them with your senses. Our senses can only behold nothingness and more (e.g. we a particular quantity of something or its absence or depletion, which equals zero).

We can capture having no money or some amount of money.  We cannot capture a negative amount of money.  Negative balances exist in "mathematical" reality.