[Numeracy 155] Re: The double negative language-math link

Leslie Hunten lhunten at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:18:15 EST 2010

I like the sea level analogy. If I hike down into Death Valley, I'm going
down below zero in elevation, because sea level is the arbitrary zero and DV
is deeper. However I'm not hiking backwards, nor using an anti-gravity
chair, I'm definitely taking steps and I can count them as an absolute
number in a negative direction. So I might walk a few miles, which are very
real to my feet, but now I'm at a negative number on an elevation map. When
I hike back out, and perhaps even climb to the peak of a mountain, I'm
walking in the positive direction. But it feels the same to my feet - I'm
still walking forward. My total distance could be called the absolute
number of miles I walked, and my elevation change has to be in negative and
positive numbers. I could walk 10 miles and have an average elevation of
zero!

But frankly, I think the most realistic analogy in integers for students is
with "having and owing money". That's a scenario they're all familiar
with. Unfortunately, this only works with adding, not subtracting. But if
you spend quite a while exploring neg & pos with money situations, they
should get a good grasp of the concepts. After that, I tell them, "Sorry,
now you just have to memorize a few rules, because they don't really make
logical sense. Just do it."

By the way, I just joined this list, and I love it already!

Leslie