[Numeracy 161] Re: Application vs. Theory

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 01:33:00 EST 2010

Greetings Brooke and all,

Well, I'm glad this discussion is continuing and that we're not leaving it to the realm of agreement to disagree!  And yes, I'll agree that absolute values do have a positive connotation, precisely because they have basis in empirically observable concrete and material reality. That was not, however, the thrust of my message your are responding to.

I'm only going to provide a short answer at this point. I am not a mathemetician and have not studied math beyond portions of the British advanced levels, except in its application of studies in logic, test design, and applied linguistic research. Pedagogically, I espouse the principle of understanding and avoid mastery of rules without trying to instill some measure of understanding of those very rules, that is, the reasoning that underlies them.  This espousal extends to learners with the most basic levels of numeracy. Scaffolding is key here. I always strive for the "ah ha" moments, and remain convinced that much more learning can and does take place than we might expect.  I've yet to work students whose dislike of math has not decreased in working with them. I consider the language-math connection to be a crucial one, because, ultimately, I view math as a language in its own right.

Rather than responding further to your comments at this time, I remain curious what other subscribers to this list might believe and hopeful that more contributions to this discussion lie ahead.