[Numeracy 165] Re: Application vs. Theory

GREER, Karen Karen.Greer at victoriacollege.edu
Mon Feb 15 11:46:46 EST 2010

Right on Krista!
I am a fellow Texas Math Institute member and teach in the real world of Adult Ed. where I am dealing with students who cannot read numbers with more than 9 digits. My aim is too reach understanding on the students part for basic processes. Theories should be left for higher levels of thinking skills. The drop out rate and poor transition into colleges shows that understanding must be missing. I encourage math teachers to use whatever works to help the students truly understand.
Karen Greer
Victoria College Adult Ed.
Texas Math Institute Trainer