[Numeracy 168] Re: Application vs. Theory

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 13:23:02 EST 2010

Greetings to all,

Will you agree that the goal of reading is to read with understanding? If we fail to read with understanding, even if whatever it is we understand will remain more or less subjective (because the meaningfulness minds derive from text will vary from person to person), we are in fact in the application phase of reading.  We may have learned how to decode, including whatever rules we may be applying that assist us in decoding, but if that's all we do, we might as well not engage in reading at all.

I will agree that oftentimes we need the keys that open doors to application, perhaps more so in math than other disciplines. There are highly proficient users of calculators who have little notion of the mathematical processes calculators "engage" in, and yet, their ability to use calculators opens doors perhaps especially to gainful employment that would otherwise remain closed.

That said, as a teacher, my goal will always remain to place my students on a path of (self-) discovery, the very essence and meaning of education itself. Ultimately, it is the inability of so many to derive relevance and (personal) meaningfulness in what they are expected to learn that alienates them from what they are learning in the first place. This happens all too often in studies of math, and accounts for the self-proclaimed "hatred" of math so many of my students share with me.

The "golden rule" I referred to in post #150 (i.e., positive times positive and negative times negative both = positive, whereas negative times positive or positive times negative both  = negative) is far more "practical," (vs. "theoretical") than might meet the eye. Once students delve into integers (undoubtedly a component of "functional" numeracy - just think of financial literacy), the rule provides one way of determining whether a sum, difference, product, or quotient is a positive or negative value (integer).
The rule, however, is more than an abstraction that lingers somewhere in ethereal space, and opens the door to the understanding of integers as they come to bear in maneuvering the demands of daily life.

I recommend checking the following three links, namely http://www.homeschoolmath.net/download/Add_Subtract_Integers_Fact_Sheet.pdf, http://www.homeschoolmath.net/download/Multiply_Divide_Integers_Fact_Sheet.pdf, and http://amby.com/educate/math/integer.html#mult-div. These sites might serve as good initial resources to "concretize" math, i.e. help our learners negotatiate meaning in it.

As for "because that's the way it is" pedagogical approaches, I'd contend that the purpose of education is not to instill that message, however "disabled" or "enabled" our students may be.