[Numeracy 171] Re: The double negative language-math link

Charlie charlie at durangoaec.org
Mon Feb 15 16:36:09 EST 2010

I draw a horizontal line and call it ground level. A pile of dirt can
be x feet above ground level (positive). A hole in the ground can be x
feet below ground level (negative). You can add a positive value by
filling the hole and/or making the pile taller. You can add a negative
integer by shoveling off of the pile and/or digging deeper.
Subtraction problem are converted to addition. For subtraction, the
mantra is "cross the line [change from subtraction to addition] and
change the sign [of the second integer]"

Charlie Love
GED/ESOL Instructor
Durango Adult Education Center
701 Camino del Rio, Room 301