[Numeracy 176] Re: Application vs. Theory

George Demetrion gdemetrion at msn.com
Mon Feb 15 17:13:07 EST 2010

Thanks Michael and all and thank you and Brooke for engaging us in this important discussion which is ever present in all applications of adult education.

First an aphorism: "There is nothing more practical than a good theory" (K. Lewin).

Second, "theory can have a wide array of applications from the recondite to the immensely practical. I've drawn on the classical pragmatic transition, especially John Dewey's theory of inquiry in which hypothesis construction is embedded within a critical phase of problem solving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3l46XhChxE. The underlying issue then becomes "what is the question or problem" for which an answer (however provisional) is needed in order to move forward.

Simple example. In a class used the negative/positive number line for illustration. I went to 6 on both sides of the line with ellipse before -6 and after +6. A student was quizzical. I inquired. She had thought the integers ended with 5 because that is the numerical example her regular teacher had used. Thus this student's implicit theory was that integers were somehow defined or bounded by the numbers (-5, +5). Obviously her teacher didn't tell her that but that was the implicit understanding she drew from the example. After I explained to her the definition of integers her understanding opened.

In Dewey's terms my use of (-6,+6) raised a problem with this student that required resolution for her to move forward in her understanding since (6) disrupted her previous construction of reality. This gave us an opportunity to discuss the definition of integers which aided in the broader discussion we were having on sets and subsets in which I was drawing on the set of integers as the more inclusive term to situate the more restricted sets of natural numbers, whole numbers and negative numbers. Thus these more restrictive sets were subsets of the more inclusive set of integers. Because my focus was that of teaching a basic concept I drew on the pedagogical principle that the concept could best be initially taught by making the initial example no more complex than absolutely critical to illustrating the concept in a manner that the students could firmly grasp. Then at that point if we were going to work further on set theory we could increase the complexity of both the theoretical presuppositions upon which set theory is based and the examples used, which would require much additional scaffolding.

Perhaps then what is required is some demystification of the definition of theory especially when we pit it against the "practical." The more fundamental issue, I believe is the relationship between conceptual understanding at whatever level or degree is needed as a tool in problem solving and concrete hands on application. Being both kinesthetic and conceptual I need to apply both in which I gain progressively clearer understanding of a given problem which then enables me to make additional progress in concretely working through a problem in which i both feel and think my way through it until I have actually mastered it, which may require some sleeping on it.

Thus, in the emerging field of of adult education mathematical pedagogy I posit as an operational hypothesis that conceptual understanding at whatever level needed to help grasp a problem is an essential counterpart in practically working through a problem step-by-step. More, sometimes a methodical step-by-step procedure can stimulate the core understanding needed to grasp a principle that will be needed to transfer it from one concrete context to another. Sometimes, a clear understanding of a core principle is needed to effectively engage in a step-by-step procedure. To the extent that our repertoire of instructional tools are extensive, all things else being equal, so will our capacity to effectively apply them in concrete teaching situations. A good theory described at a level that can be grasped is one such tool.

George Demetrion