[Numeracy 181] Re: The double negative language-math link

Carol King cking at lyon.k12.nv.us
Tue Feb 16 12:56:32 EST 2010

Michael you are right that the negatives have physical reality, but I
have students who do not relate to those examples. The concept of a
negative even when we talk about temperature does not compute for them.
I tend to resort to the double negative in language as the example when
I cannot make head way with temperature or holes or number lines. These
students really do see it in terms of 15 degrees is cold and negative 15
is really cold and can not bridge the relationship of numbers to see why
the range from 15 to -15 should create an addition problem (Yes we count
it out, but they will repeatedly look me in the face and say, See its
15!) or if counting works for temperature, they cannot transfer it to
algebra for 15 - - 15.