[Numeracy 183] Re: The double negative language-math link

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 13:47:10 EST 2010

Hello Carol and all,

I don't know whether the "Michael" you are referring to is me (I?)  (one easily gets lost in a conversation string, or at least I do...), but what I have written is that negative integers do not exist in physical reality. That is precisely why (perhaps) when we start learning math, we deal with unsigned numbers.  They are positive, alright, but not signed as such. To start, we learn of positives and negatives as operators, that's all.

That's why I believe it is important to make learners aware that in the world of math, unsigned numbers are, in fact, positive, because they refer to (or can be related to) concrete objects that exist in concrete physical space - whether whole numbers, parts, or mixed numbers.  It's not the numbers that exist per se, but rather quantities of whatever (thus, in language, the notion of count vs. noncount nouns).

It is also why I stated that when, for example, one owes money, the money that one owes, most especially in the minds of those with limited numeracy skills, is a concrete amount of (very positive!) money.  Logically, therefore, if you have a negative balance and render it in terms of a balance sheet, and in turn translate back into word-based rather than mathematical language, it can - depending how instruction plays out - defy comprehension how one can owe a negative amount (as displayed on the balance sheet).  If I owe negative $10, in fact I either don't owe anything and/or someone in fact owes me $10.

So...the trick continues to lie in establishing the language-math link in a way that help create meaningfulness in the minds of our students.  When all is said and done, they are capable of far more than one might expect...