[Numeracy 185] Re: The double negative language-math link

Barb Hofmeyer bhofmeyer at ciesc.k12.in.us
Tue Feb 16 14:52:09 EST 2010

There is a book by Bethanie Tucker that addresses this kind of mental modeling in algebra. It is called The Journey of Al & Gebra to the Land of Algebra. Though it won't take the place of instruction, it's a fun story that helps students associate a picture or model with many abstract algebra concepts. For example, the concept of positive and negative numbers is taught with the story of a tower and dungeon similar to Charlie's example below. Although it won't appeal to every student, the concrete thinkers will appreciate it.

I believe that Aha! Process is the publisher. (Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this company, I just am less creative than many of you on the list and saw the book as a way to teach "pictures" or mental models of abstract concepts. I thought some of you could also benefit.)

Barbara Hofmeyer
Professional Development Consultant
Indiana Adult Education Professional Development Project
bhofmeyer at ciesc.k12.in.us<mailto:bhofmeyer at ciesc.k12.in.us>