[Numeracy 186] Re: The double negative language-math link

Carol King cking at lyon.k12.nv.us
Tue Feb 16 16:27:29 EST 2010

The rule in teaching English is that a double negative statement creates
a positive statement, so, for a few students, it makes sense to hang my
hat on the hook they have. Since they know in English " to not not go"
creates a positive statement that you are going (and must be rewritten
as such) it bridges their mental block about double negatives in math
changing to addition problems.

Carol King

Fernley Adult Education

cking at lyon.k12.nv.us