[Numeracy 187] Re: The double negative language-math link

steinkedb at q.com steinkedb at q.com
Tue Feb 16 17:52:40 EST 2010

I see a problem with using English grammer as a model for math syntax.

We must remember that not all our students are native English speakers. What
we consider a "double-negative means a positive" in English is a simple
negative in Spanish. A literal translation of a simple negative sentence in
Spanish (No quiero nada.) looks like a "double-negative" in English (I don't
want nothing.) We must be careful that students take in the information in
the way that we intend it.

Dorothea Steinke