[Numeracy 199] Re: The double negative language-math link

stellacsullivan at aol.com stellacsullivan at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 10:48:17 EST 2010

Greetings!

I am a 2nd grade teacher and we teach negative numbers too. As a school, we use Everyday Math, which is a scienitifically-researched based math curriculum from the University of Chicago. Here are the three artifacts I have in my classroom that show negative numbers. We refer to these daily and they seems to provide concrete examples of negative numbers:

An oversize poster of a number grid (-9 to 110)
An oversize thermometer from -40-140 degress F.
An oversize number grid that wraps around my room from -35 to 180.

They seem to help. They provide a visual for my kids.

Best,

Stella