[Numeracy 213] Manipulatives--Research

Jean Stephens stephej2 at ohio.edu
Wed Feb 24 13:13:54 EST 2010

I have been following the various discussions about using manipulatives on
the discussion list. As coordinator of the math/numeracy part of the LINCS
Basic Skills Collection, I was wishing that we had something in our
collection that addressed research on the use of manipulatives in teaching
math. Since we do not currently have anything on the collection on this
topic, I went searching on the web to see what might be available.

I found an article that may be of interest to some of you: "Learning
Mathematics with Virtual Manipulatives" on the Center for Implementing
Technology in Education (CITEd) website at
http://www.cited.org/index.aspx?page_id=151. This article brings up the
whole new topic of using virtual manipulatives instead of concrete ones. I
would be interested in hearing comments from members of the group on this
method of teaching math with manipulatives.

Please note that at the end of the article there is information on research
in this topic. Although many of the research projects referred to are
pertaining to virtual manipulatives, there are some that deal with concrete
manipulatives.

I will submit this article for review and possible inclusion in our
collection. If anyone on this list knows of other articles online that we
might consider for the collection on manipulatives (or other topics), please
let me know either on or off the list. Thanks. Jean Stephens

Jean J. Stephens

740-594-8324

865-567-0984 (cell)

Math/Numeracy Collection: