[Numeracy 215] Re: Manipulatives--Research

Rachel Lyon rlyon at lyon.k12.nv.us
Wed Feb 24 16:16:31 EST 2010

Virtual manipulatives can work for some students. Once again, we are faced with diversifying instruction to fit the needs of our students. What works for some or even most doesn't work for all.

My daughter was 4 ½ could do multi digit addition, subtraction and multiplication - using her 'frog and watching him jump on the number line' - all with her eyes closed and imagination. Once introduced to concrete manipulatives, she lost her frog and actually digressed in math.

Imagination, virtual, concrete, descriptions, manipulatives?! All can work....