[Numeracy 222] Re: Seeking for Understanding---Knowing the Multiplication Facts

Julie Pangrac jpangrac at richland.edu
Mon Mar 22 19:44:52 EDT 2010

Our experience is that when students know their addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts quickly and accurately, they are able to control the numbers and not let the numbers control them. We have tried teaching without students being automatic in recalling the facts, and although they could intellectually understand higher math concepts, they were never accurate enough or fast enough to pass exams and/or work very many problems before becoming fatigued or overwhelmed. When they became automatic in facts, they started saying, "Did you know that addition and subtraction are related to each other?" "Knowing the facts helps me find multiples and factors." "I was always off when I used my fingers." "I think my brain can hold a lot more now because I don't have to figure out the facts." Our experience has also been that many of the timed entrance and placement exams do not allow students to use calculators.

Julie Pangrac, Literacy Program Coordinator
Project READ