[Numeracy 225] Re: Seeking for Understanding

steinkedb at q.com steinkedb at q.com
Tue Mar 23 11:11:51 EDT 2010

Thanks for adding the websites for math practice. Here's another one: www.math.com Go to the Practice tab, then Basic Arithmetic. You will see a "facts practice" program where you can set the operation, then set the "high" and "low" number. After that you click GO and have 60 sections to answer as many facts as you can. Have the students use two hands when doing the quiz, one to enter the answer, the other to click the mouse after the answer is entered.

Below is the order of the quizzes I'm using for my GED math classes. You'll notice that with the most difficult facts, I set the "high" and "low" very close. Otherwise the random number generator in the program can by chance give a lot of the easier facts rather than the ones that need practice.

ADDITION MULTIPLICATION DIVISION

#1 1+1 to 5+5 #5 0x0 to 4x4 #11 7x7 to 10x10 #17 Set High to 6; set Low to 0

#2 4+4 to 7+7 #6 3x3 to 6x6 #12 4x4 to 8x8 #18 Set High to 8; set Low to 6

#3 6+6 to 8+8 #7 4x4 to 7x7 #13 3x3 to 8x8 #19 Set High to 9; set Low to 5

#4 5+5 to 9+9 #8 6x6 to 8x8 #14 0x0 to 7x7 #20 Set High to 10; set Low to 0

#9 5x5 to 8x8 #15 6x6 to 10x10

#10 7x7 to 9x9 #16 3x3 to 10x10

Another way to memorize multiplication facts is to sing them to familiar melodies. (A student brought this idea to me.) STUDENTS DO NOT HAVE TO SING. However, they must say the string of "facts" in the rhythm of the song. This works because 1) song lyric memorization appears to take a slightly different path than word memorization and 2) rhythm "chunks" information so the brain feels like it has less to remember. After they have learned the "string," teach them to start halfway through - the facts at the end that they often don't know. By the way, you don't need to memorize anything "times" 9 because that can be done on fingers quite efficiently. When you know 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9 (on your fingers), the only fact to memorize is 8 x 8 = 64.

I"ve tried to write the syllables of the "tables" where the syllables of the original melodies belong. I use melodies that almost everyone knows, regardless of culture. That is important when instructing people from other countries.

"3 times" Star-Spangled Banner
Oh-oh say can you see By the dawn's ear- ly light
3 6 9 12 fif- teen eight-teen twenty- one twenty- four (same rhythm and numbers with the next line of the song)

"4 times" Jingle Bells
Jin gle bells, Jin- gle bells , jin - gle all the way
4 8 12 six - teen twen -ty twenty- four twenty- eight thirty-two (same rhythm and numbers with the next line of the song)

"6 times" The Alphabet Song (or "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star')
Twin - kle, twin - kle lit - tle star, How I won - der what you are
6 12 eigh-teen twen-ty four, thir- ty thirty- six forty - two forty-eight

"7 times" Happy Birthday
Hap - py birth - day to you. Hap - py birth - day to you. Hap - py birth - day dear ___ _____ . Hap - py birth - day to you.
sev - en four- teen twenty -one. twen-ty - eight thir - ty five. For- ty - two for -ty - nine______ fif -ty - six six -ty - three

Dorothea Steinke