[Numeracy 226] Re: Seeking for Understanding

McIntosh, Tricia tmcintos at ghc.edu
Tue Mar 23 11:26:47 EDT 2010

In I-BEST welding we do a lot of math: fractions, decimals, solving for an unknown, measurement, geometry and right triangle properties including trigonometry. Every quarter though I start with multiplication and division to 16s. Although many new students grumble about learning more than up to 12, they soon realize that when math is presented in application, fluency of basic facts is an advantage. My adult students ask me for additional worksheets to practice, quizzes to review, or times tables to 16s to stick in their notebook. Due to the fast pace of the welding program, fluency of basic facts and fractions is a must!

Tricia McIntosh
I-BEST Facilitator/Instructor
Grays Harbor College
http://www.ghc.edu/voc/ibest.htm <http://www.ghc.edu/voc/ibest.htm>