[Numeracy 234] Re: Knowing your facts / Reducing stereotype threat

mysbooks at aol.com mysbooks at aol.com
Thu Mar 25 17:41:17 EDT 2010

I admit to be conflicted on the subject of drilling math facts. While I agree it's important, I had a GED student who didn't know his mult. tables. He used estimation and common sense to solve problems at his job. He thought he would never pass the test. I explained that these were important skills for the GED test and we worked on strategies to solve GED problems using what he knew and could do well. He passed.
I've had low level, ABE and ESL students who didn't know mult tables and I taught them to use a calculator while we worked on perimeter and area problems, It was visual and hands on and they were doing meaningful activities. They were excited about doing "real" math instead of just memorizing facts. In today's world, everybody can have a calulator to do basic computations. I would not hold anyone back from doing more interesting and relevant math just because they can't multiply or divide. They need to understand the processes and where they are used and can still practice their tables and facts but they still need to be engaged with the classroom activities.